It’s already the middle of June, and before long, August 1st will arrive, and the Common Application will open for the next application season. If you are wondering what changes are coming to the Common Application and are curious about some interesting facts, the college counselors at Helping Hand College Guidance in Los Angeles have all the latest information.
- The optional COVID-19 question will remain on the Common Application for 2021-2022. This prompt asks students to talk about their pandemic experience. Although this question is optional, Helping Hand Guidance encourages students to answer this question. The more schools get to know you, the better.
- One of the former essays on problem-solving will be replaced by a new prompt. The new prompt asks students to “Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?”
- The question that refers to students that have experienced school disciplinary action has been deleted from the application.
- The question that asks for religious preference has also been eliminated.
- The geography and citizenship questions are now together.
Some interesting facts are listed below.
- The Common Application now has over 900 member schools, including 61 international colleges.
- Approximately two-thirds of the schools participating in the Common Application also make it available to university transfer students.
- There are over 35 additional members from the previous year that have joined the Common Application.
- China and India remain the top two countries outside the U.S. that use the Common Application.
- New York and California remain the top two states utilizing the Common Application.
Helping Hand College Guidance provides top-notch strategic assistance in all aspects of the college application process. Whether you are applying as a freshman, university transfer, or international applicant, we are here to make sure that your application process goes smoothly, stress-free, and offers the most winning profile of the applicant. With over a decade of experience, you can be confident that Pam Ohriner will help put you in the best position possible for admission to the college of your choice. For more information, please email or call us at 310-733-8433. We are here to answer your questions!